Based in the heart of the knitting industry in Leicester, Ramon Knitting Company was founded in 1951 by Mr Hans Rappolt and Mr Peter Simon, who gave their names to the business when the company began manufacturing cleaning cloths for the domestic market. The company’s name changed in 2002 to better reflect the broader product range.
The business is now under the ownership of Empress Garland Group EGL following the acquisition of Ramon in 2015.
Ramon is committed to providing top quality products, innovative new items and first class service across many market sectors. We are also specialists in providing private label products in a variety of formats.
Should you not find what you are looking for, or need more information on any product please contact our committed sales team on: 0116 276 1881 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
John Greenwood appointed Operations Director
Ramon is a company that values experience and expertise, and we are proud to announce the appointment of John Greenwood as our Operations Director. John joined our team in May 2019 as Operations Manager, and has since proven himself to be a valuable asset to our company. With a long career in Operations Management, John brings a wealth of experience from various industries such as manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, marine, rail, industrial and commercial markets.
Gordon Peters retires after 15 years with the company.
Supply Chain Director John Butler retires from the business.
John joined Ramon in March 2005 and became a director/shareholder in October 2006. Following Empress Garland’s acquisition of Ramon in May 2015, John was one of four Leicester based directors asked to lead the business forward and has been instrumental in the continued growth of the company and will be sorely missed.
Ramon Hygiene Products have appointed Gordon Peters as the new managing director, replacing Simon Baldock who stepped down after 36 years with the company.
Completion of a brand new 21,000sq.ft warehouse at our Thurmaston Boulevard site. This new facility provides improved availability for customers and greater capacity for new innovative products. Its 14 aisles holds an additional 3000 pallets and will be mainly used for the storage of imported finished bulk goods, bulk manufactured lines and imported raw materials.
The business is now under the ownership of Empress Garland Group EGL following the acquisition of Ramon in 2015. This acquisition has strengthened Ramon’s position to offer UK manufactured products at competitive prices. EGL Homecare is the UK’s largest manufacturer of abrasive and non-scratch scourers and a leading manufacturer of chemically bonded non-woven cloths.
A successful management buy-out was completed in 2006 by the now directors of Ramon Hygiene, Azor Alinson, John Butler & Managing Director Simon Baldock
The company changed its name to Ramon Hygiene Products to better reflect the broader product range.
Ramon acquired DTK, this allowed Ramon to offer an even more comprehensive range of goods within the hygiene and janitorial market.
A successful management buy-out was completed on 6th April 1996
Ramon began to manufacture cotton mops following Ramon’s acquisition of Initial Janitorial Manufacturing.
Ramon were now making more than 20,000,000 cleaning cloths each year and sales exceeded £2,000,000
Ramon move into their new factory in Clipper Road, Leicester
In 1972 James North, and Ramon with it , became part of Siebe Gorman, later known as Siebe plc.
James North & Sons acquired all Ramon Knitting’s shares following the retirement of Hans Rappolt.
Ramon’s success saw the £100’000 barrier breached for the first time in 1960 when sales of £122,511 were recorded.
By the late 1950’s the company had outgrown its original premises and in 1959 a new purpose built factory was opened at 200, Victoria Road East, where the workforce now comprised between 20 to 25 people.
In the late 1950’s Ramon proclaimed that ‘As specialists in the manufacture of cleaning cloths and stockinette we can offer outstanding value’ and that ‘we pride ourselves in giving unsurpassed service to all our customers’ These are commitments which have been integral to the company ever since.
The Ramon Knitting Company was formed on 20 July 1951 with Hans and Lore Rappolt and Peter and Lisa Simon as directors. When production began in September 1951 Ramon’s staff consisted of the founders and their wives, one skilled warp-knitter, one overlocker and the redoubtable Mrs Bertha Jolly as a cutter, folder and general help.